Room 114 News
Dear Room 114 Families, January 23, 2017
There are several notes/reminders for the week.
- Please have your child bring an extra set of clothes and shoes if you have them. It’s great to have an extra set for muddy days like today.
- Thank you for your snack donations. Please keep them coming. I believe January’s donation should come from students with the last names A-K. However, I have misplaced the list so please correct me if I am wrong.
- Please, please, please join us for Raise a Glass for Ray at the Promontory on February 2nd at 6pm. This was an awesome event last year and all proceeds go to Ray School. It’s a great opportunity to meet other families and have a night out. More information is found on the Ray School website.
- Please make sure your child completes their Friday letter at home. Students have ten minutes in the morning to begin them but many do not finish in this time. Encourage them to write with lots of details and ask them questions about their week if they are stuck.
- Students should have homework every night. If they do not have homework it is because they did not go to their cubby at the end of the day to collect their belongings. They can make up the homework the following night.
THIS WEEK IN:
Students will not receive their individualized spelling list this week. I am assessing them on their growth and will modify the lessons as needed.
Vocabulary: shallow, artificial, quilt, crowded, coin
This week we will read The Keeping Quilt. Students will dig deeper into the text through each reading. We will discuss the meanings of the vocabulary words, identify the setting, characters and story parts in the text. Most importantly, we will discuss character actions and how they affect the story’s outcome.
We will continue Unit 3: Writing How-To books with a focus on listing materials, adding more details, putting it in a book and using transition words. We will also work on introductions and conclusions. This week we will finish our unit.
In Math, we are working on unit 5-place value. We will learn about greater and less than symbols and play penny dice exchange. We will also measure objects using paper clips.
Sound and Light, Oh My! This week we are continuing KLEWS (science version of CLUES) to find out what we Know, want to L, what Evidence we want to gather, and Science terms learned from our Sound and Light unit. We will discuss volume of sounds and pitch. We will make one string guitars, xylophones and megaphones. We are learning about vibrations and sound relationship.
This week we will read Lightning Comes In a Jar. We will continue to discuss traditions and send home a family timeline
Ray Spirit Day