April 17, 2017
Friends of Room 114,
We hope everyone had an amazing spring break, filled with lots of fun and relaxation! We are starting a few new units this week, and have a very exciting few weeks to come. Just some reminders for the week.
- No school Wednesday, April 19
- Report Card Pick-Up Parent / Teacher Conference on Wednesday, 4/19.
- If you have not had the chance to send in the sheet, please send us your preferred time.
- Book Fair: Students will be previewing books Tuesday, April 18 during school. We recommend checking out the fair during Report Card Pick up which is in the Family Engagement Room.
- Information regarding Ray Olympics will be sent home this week. Optional order forms for spirit ware will also be included.
THIS WEEK IN:
Students received a new list of words and are completing sorting activities throughout the week during Daily 5 to prepare for their spelling test on Friday. Sort and Write, Word Hunt and Speed Sort.
- VOCABULARY OF THE WEEK: gather, weak, stump, sighed
- SIGHT WORDS OF THE WEEK: called, just, where, more, know
This week we will read The Giving Tree. Students will learn more about authors purpose and theme. We will read this text multiple times, providing opportunities to learn new vocabulary, dig deeper into comprehension and write responses to the text.
We are starting our new unit on Poetry! Students will learn about different types of poetry, and practice writing many kinds of poems.
We will begin Unit 8 this week! Unit 8 is all about geometry and shapes. Sounds simple, but with vocabulary like faces, vertices, edges, whole, it can be a wonderful challenge!
This week we also be starting our new unit on plants! We will be visiting the school garden and checking out all the different kinds of plants growing.
This week we will be starting Families Around the World. We will be learning more what life looks like for people in different parts of the world.
Ms. Horgan and Ms. Nair